The biggest update yet in the realm of DOTA 2 was released by Valve just a couple of days ago and it sure as hell is exciting.
Titled “The New Journey“, the update is well over 6GB and has brought about massive changes to the game, a new hero- Monkey King; redesigned map and terrain; the skill-tree; and the “Shrines”. Just like the other updates, **7.00 **has its own share of chaos and confusion. Let’s have a quick glance of what the new journey is all about.
1.The Monkey King:
The much awaited hero, the Monkey King is a melee agility carry that reminds you of the Chinese mythical character Sun Wukong(our hero goes by the same nickname). Mischievous by nature, the King has a wide range of abilities allowing him to sit atop trees and leap, to slam his powerful staff on the ground, to disguise himself and to summon soldiers to fight for him. The Monkey King also arrives with a brand new terrain, a cool Arcana set and an announcer pack.
2.The new HUD and interface:
It’s a lot. Increased visibility and options; one click level up for abilities; mana cost is displayed on items; a new shop view; common items and guides; buyback indicator and courier controls; every hero has a backpack (you get to carry 3 additional items that you’ll have to swap with the ones in the main slot (6) to use it).
3.The new pre game:
The pre-match battle screen animation is wicked. The hero selection interface has also been tweaked. In addition to the basic filters there are hero suggestions and team compositions followed by the strategy phase (about 30sec) where you can plan out the laning, warding and make initial purchases.
4.The Heroes and their Talent Trees:
Every hero can choose a particular “branch” of the skill tree at levels 10/15/20/25 to attain special bonuses for the hero or his/her ability. Each hero has a unique tree. So, this is really cool as it provides a huge boost to the supports who find it hard to earn XP or gold. And also the ultimate levels are now at 6/12/18. The Aghanim’s Scepter has also undergone a few changes (discussed at the end).
5.The map and terrain:
The entire map has been remodelled and it will surely be a while to get used to. 4 bounty rune spots in the jungles, 2 power rune spots, new creep camps (2 new ancient creeps) have opened up and almost every jungle has been completely redesigned. Roshan has been moved to a new pit to the north of the river. This would probably cut out the Dire’s advantage of sneaking in to claim the Aegis.
And then we have the Shrines.
Shrines are a new set of buildings which when activated grants a quick burst of health and mana to the heroes in its radius. They are especially relevant when you need that sudden regen after a fight.
So, here’s a brief list of what 7.00 has done to your heroes:
- Alchemist’s Greevil’s Greed Bounty Rune multiplier rescaled from 3/4/5/6x to a constant 2x.
- Added a Scepter for Anti-Mage. Causes Spell Shield to passively block and reflect a targeted spell once every 12 seconds. Disabled with Break.
- Arc Warden’s Tempest Double cooldown increased from 40/35/30 to 60/50/40.
- Added Scepter to Bounty Hunter. Allows Shuriken Toss to bounce twice on each hero (bounces on everyone once, then bounces through each one again)
- Brewmaster’s Drunken Haze miss chance rescaled from 45/55/65/75% to 70%
- Bristleback’s Quill Spray now deals damage as it quickly expands outwards.
- Chaos Knight’s Chaos Strike now lifesteals for 50% when it crits. Illusions benefit from this as well and a scepter bonus reduces cooldown by 20 seconds and allows Phantoms to be cast on an allied hero.
- Reworked Crystal Maiden Scepter so that it now applies Frost Bite to any unit that has been standing in the Freezing Field for over 2.5 seconds. Frostbite affects an enemy only once..
- Dark Seer's Wall of Replica no longer deals damage when heroes walk through it but instead applies a 1-second 76% slow.
- Dragon Knight’s Dragon Tail is now a fast projectile while in Dragon Form.
- Elder Titan’s Natural Order now removes 40/60/80/100% of the base magic resistance, rather than a fixed amount.
- Enigma’s Black Hole now slowly rotates enemy units as it pulls them into the center.
- Lycan’s Feral Impulse no longer provides 15/20/25/30 Attack Speed.
- Meepo clones now share full attributes without Scepter.
- Necrophos’ Sadist replaced with a new ability, Ghost Shroud. Turns you Ethereal for 3/3.5/4/4.5 seconds and grants you a 600 AoE slow aura that reduces enemy movement speed by 12/20/28/36%. While you are in this form you take 20% more magic damage but any HP/MP you heal is amplified by 50%. Cooldown: 28/24/20/16
- Omni Knight’s purification mana cost reduced from 100/120/140/160 to 70/90/110/130.
- Added Scepter to Phantom Lancer. Causes Spirit Lance to bounce on nearby enemies. Bounce Range: 400. Bounce cap: 5.
- Phoenix’s Sun Ray changed from Pure to Magical damage type.
- Added a Scepter for Riki. Increases ultimate duration by 4 seconds. Allows you to target an allied hero, hiding inside them for the duration. The radius that you attack in follows the allied hero. 1000 Cast Range.
- Reworked Shadow Shaman’s Mass Serpent Wards Scepter. Now causes Serpent Wards to have a split shot, attacking two units each for full damage.
- Treant Protector’s Nature’s Guise is now a passive ability. Whenever you are within 265 range of a tree for 6/5/4/3 seconds (without attacking), you gain invisibility and 16/22/28/34% movement speed bonus. When you attack out of invisibility, you bash the target for 1/1.4/1.8/2.2 seconds. Your attack out of invisibility cannot miss. You can cast while invisible.
- Reworked Zeus Scepter. Grants you a new ability, Nimbus, that creates a storm cloud anywhere on the map. The cloud casts Lightning Bolt automatically on a random enemy within 500 AoE once every 2.5 seconds (scales with cooldown reduction). Clouds last 50 seconds. Cooldown: 50, Mana cost: 275. Requires 8 hits from ranged heroes to kill (4 from melee heroes, 16 from non-heroes), and has a 100 gold bounty.
In addition to this, there are other minor changes. Viper, Slardar and Enigma have new skins. Bot matches allow the inclusion of community authored bots. Bigger trees, grasses, and wind effects are present.
This update would probably force players to approach the game from a new perspective since everyone would be a freshman. Some are taking it well, while the others are lamenting about the loss of DOTA 2’s pure form due to the slight similarities of the update to the ones in LOL (League of Legends) and HOTS (Heroes of the Storm).
To quote Meister Eckhart, a German philosopher: “It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings”.A new journey awaits..
To checkout the changes in detail click here.
Subscribe to Code Rewritten
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox