“Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is complete substitute for life.”
There are different types of cyber crimes today which is indeed a threat to the present as well as the future generations. Hacker Kevin Mitnick said “The weakest link in the security chain is the human element”.This proves to be correct as in today’s security levels more than the information and data hacked from MNC’s , humans ranging from small kids to women are becoming victims to the scenario. Frequent posting of pics in social media sites and the never ending flow of likes and comments can be an entertainment as well as compliment to the people posting but there are malicious people with crooked minds on the other side ready to hack the account and use the pics and the details provided.
![security - image](https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aLJ1nLzB_mk/VxtJ0tj2QpI/AAAAAAAAC20/jxjx0Z1FbmQ6q8L98py6Y7LZqd0G3DZDQCLcB/s1600/images%2B%25281%2529.jpe)
As the quote says, internet is so big and vast and there are countless number of people using this facility recklessly involving a need for a secure network. Cyber security is meant for the protection of the information system from theft or damage of the hardware, software and the information on them as well as protection of the services they provide. In today’s technically ever-growing world, from small kids to old men internet is like a plaything in their hands. Since it has users of various age groups as well as all the budding multi national companies rely on this network computers, therefore ample protection is required. In the earlier days, the cyber security was much stronger than nowadays condition. Just take any newspaper , you can see a number of cyber crimes,this shows the weakness of today’s network security weakness. For example, Whatsapp last week announced it roll out end to end encryption for its users which was done to increase the chat security level but the developers never thought that this service becomes more attractive to spammers.
In order to minimize the cyber crimes occurring today, Lets analyze what a cyber crime is, what are it’s different types and tips to prevent it. A cyber crime is any crime which in involves computer and network where the computer can be the target or can be used to do the crime.There are different types of cyber crimes:
- Computer viruses: These are malicious programs that can replicate themselves eating up the disk space, accessing personal information ,to steal the important data, to crash system..etc. Creating such computer virus is a crime.
- Cyber-stalking: It is the use of internet to harass an individual, or an organisation or any groups via networks and electronic media. For example, accessing the financial details of an individual from any shopping website or so and harassing on its grounds.
- Identity theft: It is the crime involving the access of personal information of any individual without his or her consent. This information can be used to create fake credit cards, driving license ..etc molesting the individual financially and mentally.
How to increase the network security levels:
- Setup privacy settings, enable safety modes and set up filtering content options.
- Enforce strong password policies.Passwords are like a toothbrush- choose a good one,change after sometime:)
- encrypt confidential information.
- install proper firewall settings.
- Use a reliable security solution
- while creating accounts, don’t give out much personal info like last name, dob if utter necessary.
- never download attachments from unknown mails and spams as it may contain virus.
- Educate children, teens and co workers about the ongoing cyber crimes.
Subscribe to Code Rewritten
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox